Sunday, May 09, 2004

Don't mention the war!

Last week was Hitler week on the UKHistory channel.

I know. I made the same face when I heard it.

Hitler for many is kinda like Satan for the Christians. Like, you have to only approach him with a certain mindset, with the right amount of disgust in your face, or people may accuse you of supporting him. Especially when you are German. Just an observation. And just for the record, My Disclaimer (TM): I think he was a sick fuck. But like Luther mocked the devil, I like making fun of Hitler. Hell, Chaplin did it. And I think it's not fair that just because I am German, I am not allowed to pull Hitler jokes. Note, not antisemitic jokes. Just jokes like singing "Hitler has only got one ball, the other is in the Albert Hall".
That's also partly because of the whole German thing. It's not as prevalent as it used to be, but one still gets the occasional association with the whole thing just based on nationality, even if it just by a complete knob jockey - scuse my French - and my way of dealing with it is just taking the stereotype and throwing it back.

Plus, I don't think retarded dictators should be treated with the respect they believe they deserve in their super-ego-inflated self-importance. (Note, that does not mean, belittle whatever fucked up thing they do.)
This is why I totally and utterly love the Germans episode in Fawlty Towers. It's that episode that Brits that don't know me always show me with a sense of caution. But when Basil Fawlty does his gawky Hitler impersonation, his long legs twisting, I am on the floor.

I am not ashamed to be German. My family was anti-Nazi. My great-grandma was punished by the Nazis for hiding a Jewish kid, and I am proud of her and inspired by her courage. I don't see why I should feel guilty for just being German. I can only apologise for my countrymen, even though that is not worth much, but I don't apologise for sharing their nationality, because I have never done anything to anyone.

So if you hear me speak with a put-on German accent and throwing an occasional politically incorrect "Siegen sie heil" and "For me, ze var is over" in there, impersonating Basil Fawlty impersonating Hitler (which is the politically correct way to do it, so there) and introducing myself as "Hi, I'm Patty, I'm German, feel free to hate me." - don't get your knickers in a twist.
Cause what else do you expect from a dirty hun? A fritz? A kraut?


Quote of the Day:

German Guest: "Stop talking about the war!"
Basil: "You started it!"
German: "No we didn't!"
Basil: "Yes you did, you invaded Poland."


No comments: