Tuesday, October 04, 2005

after the boys of summer have gone

bloglag: 2 days

Nobody on the road
Nobody on the beach
I feel it in the air
The summer's out of reach
Empty lake, empty streets
The sun goes down alone
I'm drivin' by your house
Though I know you're not at home


Sunday was officially the last day of the season for the Bournemouth lifeguards. There was a saddening finality to everything... bringing Oli, Jo and Matt their last coffees, the last hangout in the station, overlooking a now empty beach, with sea gulls hovering in a breeze chilly enough to remind you summer is over for good. The lads were cleaning up the boat shed and the stations, and while most of them have awesome trips to look forward to - moving on to baywatching in Oz and New Zealand for the winter, for crying out loud! - there were some mixed feelings, Mostly for me, I guess... I have no grand trips to look forward to, and they all are gonna reunite next summer, while I dunno whether I am still gonna be here, and whether I'm gonna see them again. I am gonna miss them all. I have made some good friends and have had some amazing times with them this summer.

Thinking about it, isn't it the oddest thing how your life defines the nature of your friendships?
I guess the kind of life I've had in the past ten years has brought relationships that have adjusted to it, in a way that some may find weird and perhaps even inconsistent, but they are nonetheless working. We all have our freedom and independence, and the friendships never die... they just hibernate for the time being, only to be woken by the occasional email update. Once we meet up again, things will just go on as if none of us had ever been away.
This way you make the whole planet your family.

My summer friends have left, and my autumn friends have returned. And all of them, to use a godawful cheesy hallmark phrase, have got a special place in my heart.

No comments: