Thursday, August 19, 2004

Meeting Milla – another Mini Munkeh Encounter

August 6th


My friend Milla from Finland is in town to visit!!!
We have met on the soapbox in November and have been really good friends ever since. It is remarkable how one can have friends these days without ever having met them. And I feel almost geek-triumph because people still smile at the concept of an internet community, many looking at it as “not real friends” or “not real people”… but like anything, I guess, it is what you make it, and the Soapbox is just a wicked place, and I love the people there. One feels really connected to that gang, because everyone is so kind in spite of the differences in culture, faith, nationality and whatnot, and because we “do” a lot together like that Travelling Monkey thing and the monkey meets. It’s just amazing. Mike was/is so lovely, and so is Milla.

We met at the Sony Center at Potsdamer Platz… it was a bit weird seeing this semi-strange person that knows so much about me, and I reckon it was odd to her, too, but that lasted about two seconds. Milla totally rocks, and we both like doing the valley girl talk just to freak people out. It was hilarious… I noticed some people staring at us disdainfully, thinking we were some of those “stupid Americans” *eyeroll* (talk of prejudices they accuse others of!)…
I love “playing that game”. Kinda like the Blonde Game, but I will tell about that another time. It’s kinda like the Surfer Dude game the two surfers play in “The Beach” (the book, not the film) If you’ve read it, you’ll know what I mean.

Anyways, we got on so well, and we we went shopping in trashy shops where Milla bought a third boob (hah!) and I got hooked on all the cow items, then watched a film, walked around Oranienburger Strasse, inspecting the Tacheles and its trainspottingesque stair case, the Bush Trash Exhibition , and then went boozing in my pub. Terry and Alex were there, so that was really cool, and I was glad to see them again.

Happy Green Family!


No comments: