Tuesday, January 04, 2005

The day the world stopped spinning

The tsunami disaster in Asia has been the number one focus in almost every media outlet for a while now, and by now everyone has pretty much covered everything there is to say about it, and, needless to say, I do agree in every way, and I hardly know what to add. I want to say something, I don't want to - can't - ignore it... but what is one to say in the face of such a catastrophe?
Words are almost insulting, I feel like any verbal comment on this is almost mockery, a joke because it cannot address the pain, the unspeakable suffering. I wish my heart could express itself appropriately... language alone is so inadequate.

Three minutes of silence across the continents are a token of respect, but not much else...

Prayers are good, mojo is good, but practical help is better.
"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead." (James 2:14-17)

It is true... God whispers in our pleasure, but screams in our pain. It's times like this that reveal where our priorities lie, what our hearts are set on, and how much people need each other, and that we are responsible for each other.
In moments like this, we are each other's keepers.
It is moments like this when we have the chance to show what is truly in us, what gives our species the right to exist on this planet.

Please give as much as you can spare.

No comments: